Saturday, February 2, 2013

DIY Personalized Christmas Ornament

 Last year I got the idea to make a family ornament using pieces of clothing that represented each person in out family. For my son I used some Cars pjs, my daughter I used a piece of her swaddle blanket, for my husband I used an old work shirt and for myself I found an old shirt with roses on it (since my name is Rosa). But this year I decided to go a different route and use fabrics that I felt represented our family. For my son it was his first year in T-ball and found a nice print at Joanns. For my daughter she had a 50's themed 1 year old party and so she got a cherry print. For my husband I found a money print (kind of sad) but I couldn't find anything else. I was looking for tools but no luck. And for myself I got a print with cameras since I am the family photographer. Back to this years ornament, I made two templates 5" circle and 4.5'' circle. I pre cut all the fabric, leaving room for the sowing. I am not a great sower and do not know how to use a sowing machine. 

Here is what you will need...
- Fabrics of your choise 
- Scissors
- Thread and Needle
- Pins 
- Pen

 I Pre- Cut all my squares ...
 And drew the lines where I was going to sow...
 Here is what it will look like when all four triangles are put together.
 This is how it looks like as I am adding the back to it! 

 Once I was done and left an opening to stuff the ornament, Using my Cricut I cut out 2012 and made a stencil. Afterwards using a piece of contact paper I used my stencil and wrote in 2012,  Using pins i placed it on the ornament and using a nice thread to write out the number. 
 Once that is done you can stuff the ornament with cotton and I used glue to seal the last piece together. 



Lastly I added a little ribbon to put the hook in and all done! 
And here are my ornaments. I hope to continue this tradition. I think one day my kids will enjoy them and we can always talk about why I chose them and any stories behind them.
Thanks for visiting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment